Sequim and the greater Clallam County area have fared pretty well when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic, though we still expect this summer to be a drastically different one than normal. The famous Sequim Lavender Festival has been canceled, as have a number of other events and activities that normally take place in the summer. Even so, there are still a number of wonderful things to do in Sequim that offer some natural social distancing. As the threat of the pandemic passes and the state begins to reopen to things like travel, we hope you’ll consider spending some (careful) time in Sequim this summer and supporting the many wonderful small businesses here.
Downtown Sequim is a charming place, with a variety of locally-owned businesses that make it unique. Without their typical summer crowds, Sequim Lavender farms will be happy to see your smiling faces (behind masks, of course) visiting their beautiful fields, and supporting them in whatever way possible. Between visits to downtown businesses and lavender farms, we invite you to spend some time staying socially distanced and enjoying the many wonderful things to do in Sequim this summer.
Things to do in Sequim that Support Social Distancing
We hope that, at least in part, we can celebrate the bounty of Sequim with you this summer and fall. Tourism is important to the small town of Sequim, with people visiting here from all over the world to enjoy the variety of things to do in Sequim. A few of these things include biking the Olympic Discovery Trail, visiting the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge, hiking in the Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park, and visiting the area’s world-famous lavender farms during the annual lavender festival.
We don’t like seeing the town of Sequim closed down to tourism anymore than you do, though for the health and wellbeing of our community it’s been an important part of the process. As we inch closer to reopening, you can feel the palpable excitement from residents and small business owners. Luckily, Sequim does have quite a few things going for it when it comes to welcoming visitors and embracing social distancing.
Of all the incredible things to do in Sequim, getting outside and enjoying this exceptionally beautiful area is at the top of the list. Luckily for us, with so many places to go out and explore, it’s pretty easy to maintain proper social distancing while in Sequim. Whether you’re into hiking, biking, boating, fishing, birdwatching, or soaking up Mother Nature’s beauty in other ways, there are a whole host of exciting and fun things to do in Sequim. Here are just a few of the things we hope to share with you this summer when you do visit. Of course, always remember to practice social distancing where needed, and bring your mask along with you, too.
- Hike out the 5.5 miles (one way) to the Dungeness Lighthouse. Though there do tend to be a number of visitors to the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge, few of them make the 11-mile journey to the lighthouse. The farther you get away from the start of the trailhead, the fewer people you’ll likely encounter. There, you can focus on enjoying the resplendent nature around you, and take the time to appreciate this exceptionally beautiful part of the world.
- Bike down the Olympic Discovery Trail. Stretching from Port Townsend to La Push, this incredible trail takes you through some of the most magnificent scenery of the Olympic Peninsula.
- Take the time to visit one (or more) of Sequim’s Lavender Farms. Visiting these farms is one of the most popular things to do in Sequim. Though we’re not quite sure what this process will look like quite yet, Sequim’s Lavender Farms are working on a solution that still allows guests to visit and experience the beauty of these rolling purple fields for themselves, all the while keeping themselves and others safe and protected.
- There are few better ways to practice social distancing than to get out on the water. There are miles and miles of open water in the Sequim area, which means it’s the perfect place to go boating or kayaking.
- Enjoy a day in the mountains. From the Olympic National Forest to the Olympic National Park, there are an incredible number of wonderful hiking trails in the area. They range in distance and difficulty, but each one of them is just as rewarding as the next.
Are you Moving to Sequim?
If you’re moving to Sequim this summer or later this year or next, let us be the first to welcome you to the area. There are an incredible number of things to do in Sequim, and no shortage of ways to enjoy the scenic beauty of the Pacific Northwest. If you are still in the market for a new home or need any help settling into the area, our Sequim Real Estate Agents are here to help. We’re passionate not just about buying and selling real estate, but also about the incredible community we call home. Sequim truly is a wonderful place to live, and we hope to share it with you. Contact us today!