Biking the Olympic Discovery Trail & More in Sequim
The Olympic Discovery Trail is 130-mile expanse that cuts through some of the most beautiful parts of the Northwest. One of the stops along the way is our charming little town Sequim in Washington state. In fact, for the more novice bikers there’s a strip of the Olympic Discovery Trail that’s 26 miles of almost completely paved roads starting at Blyn, WA heading towards Sequim and then continues out to our neighboring town of Port Angeles.
Biking the Olympic Discovery Trail should be on the bucket list for any cycle enthusiast. Due to it’s maintained trails and bridge structures, it’s also actually quite a great place for those who are new to biking. This corner of Washington State is quintessential Northwest with temperate rainforests, coastal and mountain views and lots of space for outdoor recreation—biking, hiking, beach-combing and boating are popular outings here.
Luckily, due to Sequim’s location in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains, this area averages less rain fall per year (only 16 inches), which is the same as Los Angeles, CA! It just so happens to also be the perfect climate for fragrant fields of lavender, creating seas of purple and a big draw for visitors around the globe. If you’d like to learn more about real estate options in Sequim and the surrounding areas, contact one of our knowledgeable agents today!
Biking the Olympic Discovery Trail & More in Sequim
The segment of Olympic Discovery Trail that intersects our area of the Northwest is 26-miles of cycling paradise. This stretch of the Olympic Discovery Trail has nine bridges, which cross over streams and rivers and the bulk of the trail is abandoned railroad paths, creating gentle slopes for easy bike rides. The Olympic Discovery Trail is just one of the many draws to this part of Washington State.
The Olympic Discovery Trail goes directly though our downtown core of Sequim. Where you’ll find a perfect pitstop for lunch, local shops and beautiful beaches. For the locals, this brings a lively sense to the area and tourism is a big element to our little sunny town. The trail is also a lovely walking path for hikes and leisurely strolls, and if you’re lucky you may encounter some of our four-legged locals, as the Olympic Discovery Trail is a popular equestrian walk as well.
Here are more outdoor adventures that draw people to make this part of the Northwest their home:
- Beaches: These gorgeous coastlines along the Salish Sea are predominately sandy beaches with grips of driftwood lining the boundaries. On any warm day, you’ll see families building sandcastles, couples picnicking and many folks walking the edges of the waves searching for shells and beach glass.
- Hiking: We already covered how the Olympic Discovery Trail is a great place to walk and hike, but Sequim is a gateway to the Olympic National Forest that spans over 600,000 acres at the foothills of the Olympic Mountains and it’s packed with beautiful hiking trails. Another favorite is the Dungeness Spit hike, the longest natural sand-spit in the nation stretching 5.5 miles.
- Weather: Sequim is often referred to as “Sunny Sequim” or the “Blue Hole of Sequim” due to the cool breezes that come in off of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, causing more humidity and less precipitation. The mild winters and dryer climate leads to this area being a popular retirement community.
- Small Town Vibe: The attitude in Sequim is laid back and relaxed just like any beachside community you’ll find down the coastline. The population lies under 8,000 residents and it’s a welcoming town to new homeowners and tourist alike.
- Lavender and Berry Fields: Due to the climate here being comparable to that of areas of France, lavender thrives here. And since we are surrounded by farmland, fresh organic produce is in abundance. It’s a popular pastime for locals and visitors to head to the U-pick farms for lavender bundles or berry bunches.
- Wine Tasting: The Olympic Peninsula Wineries group is made up of eight wineries and cideries producing local and hand-crafted beverages with love and care. In downtown Sequim you can visit Wind Rose Cellars for local Italian-style wines and appetizers.
For even more adventures to have during Spring in our charming town of Sequim, WA take a look, here.
The Best Real Estate Agency for Sequim, Port Angeles and Beyond
While Schwab Realty is based in the beautiful town of Sequim, WA, we are very familiar with all of the areas in this Northwest corner of the state on the Olympic Peninsula. Surrounding towns like Port Townsend or Port Angeles are lovely family-friendly beachfront communities. If you’d rather search closer inland to a bigger city, we can help with that too, but more and more people are finding the comfort of a small town away from the crowds of metropolitan areas.
Schwab Realty has been operating out of our downtown Sequim location for 35 years and running. The time we’ve spent in this market really gives us a level of expertise of the Olympic Peninsula that is unparalleled. We would love to help you find your dream property, whether that’s a place to call home, a future business or larger swathes of land for farming and agriculture. Contact one of our friendly agents today and let the hunt begin!