Our Favorite Things to do in Port Townsend
Though our real estate office is located in the town of Sequim, we proudly serve all communities on the Olympic Peninsula, including Port Angeles and Port Townsend. Our neighbor to the east, Port Townsend, is a historically charming Victoria Seaport worth visiting. In fact, there is an incredible range of things to do in Port Townsend, no matter the season in which you visit.
While the towns of the Olympic Peninsula, including Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles, each make wonderful places to visit, they are also extraordinary places to live and work. Whether you’re young, retired, or somewhere in between, there are plenty of things to do in Port Townsend and a broad range of amenities for people of all backgrounds. It’s one of the many great things about living here!
10 of the Best Things to do in Port Townsend
With world-class attractions like Fort Worden and Fort Flager State Parks, incredible examples of Victorian architecture, and the Wooden Boat Festival, there really is no shortage of things to do in Port Townsend.
Whether you’d rather browse the antique shops, explore the beautiful natural surroundings or something in between, there are more than enough things to do in Port Townsend to keep you busy.Here are our top recommendations for the very best things to do in Port Townsend:
- Fort Worden State Park is always at the top of our list of things to do in Port Townsend, and it should be on yours, too! Not only can you enjoy a little bit of hiking in the area, but it provides a fascinating glimpse into the area’s military history. It’s a rare opportunity to freely explore underground bunkers, walk through dark tunnels and chambers, climb vertical ladders, and otherwise get lost in history.
- While you’re there, visit the Point Wilson Lighthouse, which is located right at the entrance to Puget Sound at Admiralty Inlet at the tip of Fort Worden State Park. This lighthouse was first built in 1879, and then later reconstructed to its current state in 1913. It’s one of the few left standing along the Puget Sound today.
- Another place you don’t want to miss is nearby Fort Flagler State Park. Though it’s not technically in downtown Port Townsend, it’s not too far away on neighboring Marrowstone Island. The drive out there is beautiful, and the park is an exceptional place to explore and learn even more about the area’s rich military history.
- Another one of our favorite things to do in Port Townsend is antiquing, and exploring the broad range of galleries, shops, and restaurants in downtown Port Townsend.
- Watch a movie or other performance at the incredibly beautiful Rose Theatre. This treasured theatre is a historic gem and a treasured part of Port Townsend’s history.
- Visit Chetzemoka Park, which is the perfect place to enjoy the waterfront, and maybe even a small picnic.
- Explore the Jefferson Museum of Art & History and get to know about this incredible town.
- Stop into the Port Townsend Marine Science Center, which is home to one of 6 fully articulated orca whale skeletons. It’s impressive, as is the rest of the hands-on marine education.
- Visit the incredible Northwest Maritime Center, which is the host to the annual Wooden Boat Festival each September. It is a must for boating enthusiasts of all ages!
- Enjoy a day of tastings at local breweries, cideries, and wineries.
From Port Townsend, you can also catch the ferry to Whidbey Island where you free to explore for the day. There, you’ll find incredible attractions like Deception Pass, Fort Casey State Park, and Fort Ebey State Park.
Interested in Living in Port Townsend?
Port Townsend really is a charming and beautiful town, and we can see why people from all over the world come to visit. But it’s so much more than a great place to visit. Can you imagine living among these treasured historic buildings, and being a part of this welcoming and progressive community?
Port Townsend is an attractive place to live for families and adults, both young and old. If you’re interested in learning more about the area or would like to start the process of finding your perfect piece of Port Townsend real estate, we’d love to help. Our offices handle real estate all over the Olympic Peninsula, which means we know these communities inside and out. Our experienced agents will help guide you in finding your perfect home. Contact our Port Townsend Real Estate agents today!