10 Things to do in Port Angeles
Our real estate office is based in the charming town of Sequim, located on the Olympic Peninsula. We serve all of the communities of the Olympic Peninsula, including our neighbors to the west in Port Angeles. There is an incredible range of things to do in Port Angeles, especially during these beautiful summer months. It also makes for the perfect home base for exploring the vast corners of the Olympic Peninsula.
Though we can easily argue that Port Angeles is a great place to visit during these warm summer months – and really at any time of year – it also happens to be a wonderful place to live. Whether you’re a young family or looking for someplace new a little later in life, Port Angeles offers a broad range of amenities for people of all ages and backgrounds. If you have any questions about living in the area, reach out to one of our wonderful Olympic Peninsula Real Estate Agents.
10 of the Best Things to do in Port Angeles This Summer
With world-class attractions like the Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, the Elwah River, and the ferries to Victoria, B.C, there really is no shortage of things to do in Port Angeles. Whether you’re into hiking, biking, fishing, boating, shopping, arts & culture, or something in between, there are more than enough things to do in Port Angeles to keep you busy. There are also a number of wonderful day trips that can be taken from here as you explore the farthest reaches of the stunning Olympic Peninsula.
While moving around the area make look a bit different this summer as compared to most, there are still plenty of things to do in Port Angeles that are worth the effort. The best part about most of these is that they involve a little bit of natural social distancing, too. Just make sure you bring your mask on your adventure, as Washington State requires them to be worn in public. Here are our top recommendations for the very best things to do in Port Angeles:
- Of all the things to do in Port Angeles, visiting Hurricane Ridge, which offers extraordinary mountain views, is by far the most popular. There are a number of great hiking trails here, including the popular Hurricane Hill and the trail to Mount Angeles, but if you aren’t up for a hike you can just walk around the visitor center, take a partial stroll up the hill, or just soak in the view from the overlook.
- Take a walk along the historic Elwah River Restoration, where you’ll witness nature’s powerful forces reshaping the river and watershed after the removal of the dams.
- Visit the historic Lake Crescent Lodge, and hike up to Marymere Falls, or, if you’re up for something a bit more strenuous, Mt. Storm King. While you’re out at Lake Cresent, make sure you take the time to walk the Spruce Railroad Trail once it opens again (it’s currently under construction).
- Fish from the pier in downtown Port Angeles. While you’re there, don’t miss the opportunity to climb to the top of the observation tower for a beautiful view of this charming town.
- Visit the beautiful beaches around Port Angeles! One of the most popular beaches in the area is Salt Creek, which offers a nice sandy stretch of beach, and excellent cove for kayaking and tidepools that stretch farther than the eye can see.
- Go hiking! There are endless options for trails in the area, but popular hiking trails near Port Angeles include treks to Lake Angeles, Klahanie Ridge, Grand Pass, and Elk Mountain via Obstruction Point. A little farther out of town, and you’ll find great hikes like Sol Duc Falls and Deer Lake. Many of these trails not only offer mind-blowing views of the Olympic National Park and the Port Angeles area, but you also have a high chance of seeing local wildlife like goats, marmots, deer, and birds.
- Bike along the portions of the Olympic Discovery Trail that pass through town, or head into the mountains for some extraordinary mountain biking adventures.
- Shop & stroll around Port Angeles’ charming downtown, where you’ll find a number of boutiques and gift stores, art galleries, indie bookstores, a gourmet market, and so much more.
- Go wine tasting! The Olympic Peninsula is home to 9 award-winning wineries, a few of which are in/near Port Angeles.
- Get to know the art, museums, and culture of Port Angeles! The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center is a beautiful art gallery and sculpture garden, the Elwha Heritage Center or the House of Learning (a.k.a. The Longhouse) is the perfect place to go to learn more about the original native Klallam people, and there’s even a mural trail around town.
Typically, we’d recommend catching a ferry to Victoria B.C. to explore their beautiful area, but the ferries are closed down, along with the borders into Canada, due to the COVID pandemic. We look forward to having this incredible asset to our community back as soon as it’s safe to travel again!
Interested in Living in Port Angeles?
The Port Angeles area is great, and we can see why it’s such an attractive place for families and adults, both young and old, to live. If you’re interested in learning more about the area or would like to start the process of finding your perfect piece of Port Angeles real estate, we’d love to help. Our offices handle real estate all over the Olympic Peninsula, which means we know these communities inside and out. Our experienced agents will help guide you in finding your perfect home. Contact our Port Angeles Real Estate Agents today!