5 Best Reasons for a Day Trip from Sequim to Port Townsend
The drive from Sequim to Port Townsend is a scenic 45 minute ride that hugs the coastline of Sequim and Discovery Bay. While the lovely views along the way makes for a pleasant outing, the charming Victorian port town has a lot to offer visitors. The historic buildings house unique shops, romantic restaurants along with wineries and pubs. Ex-military outposts, transformed into beautiful parks, have great hiking trails, fun events and sweeping water views. The parks and the city itself, has a rich link to the past and visitors can explore this at the small museums and historic home tours. After a nice long hike or exploring the town center, stop at one of the local wineries, breweries or cideries for a refreshing drink. Any day trip from Sequim to Port Townsend makes a wonderful getaway and visitors will always find something new to discover.
The short drive from Sequim to Port Townsend and other wonderful cities and locations, is what makes Sequim the perfect central location on the Olympic Peninsula. Nestled between the Olympic Mountains and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Sequim residents enjoy access to great nearby small cities and the grandeur of Olympic National Park. If this sounds like paradise to you, we invite you to experience Sequim for yourself. The friendly and knowledgeable staff at Schwab Realty can show your around and help you find your next dream home.
Plan the Best Day Trip from Sequim to Port Townsend
After a picturesque drive from Sequim to Port Townsend you’ll need to decide how to spend your day in this fun-filled town. Explore the walkable downtown with water views and Victorian architecture. There’s always something new to discover, making every visit fresh and interesting. Create a perfect day visiting Port Townsend:
- Historic Parks – If your looking for a day of majestic water views and beach hikes, Port Townsend has several large parks that offer many different options for an enjoyable day. The best known is Fort Worden State Park. It’s one of three former coastal defense forts transformed into lovely parks. Visit the hidden gun emplacements, expansive parade lawns and restored Victorian-era Officers homes. Pick up a self-guided walking tour map at the gift shop and stroll the 2 miles of beach or high bluffs with breath-taking views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. During the summer months fun events are held here as well. The Fort Townsend State Park began as a U.S. Army site when it was built in 1856. Nature has reclaimed this park and it’s a great place for a quiet hike on the 6.5 miles of wooded trails and beach access. Chetzemoka Park is also worth a visit when planning a day trip from Sequim to Port Townsend. With wonderful Admiralty Inlet and Cascade Mountains views, this park is known for its amazing gardens. Wander among flower, rose and rhododendron gardens shaded by beautiful mature trees.
- Museums – Port Townsend is very proud of its history and the city does and excellent job of preserving historic places. The Jefferson County Historical Society manages three exceptional historic locations worth a visit. The Jefferson Museum of Art & History hosts art exhibits and is the meeting place for walking tours of Port Townsend’s National Historic District. While The Rothschild House gives visitors a peek into how residents lived in Port Townsend 100 years ago. Visit the restored Commanding Officers Quarter’s at Fort Worden State Park. Also find the Puget Sound Coast Artillery Museum and the Marine Science Center in Fort Worden as well.
- Shopping – While walking the charming city streets, you’ll be tempted by unique and speciality shops. Lovers of art and crafts will find wonderful galleries with original paintings, prints, pottery and furniture. While shops carry estate jewelry, antiques, vintage clothing, yarn, beads and other crafting supplies. Browse the independent book, record and toy stores. The more unusual shops carry steampunk clothing, crystals, handmade hats, teas and incense. Take a break from shopping and treat yourself to some locally made ice cream or chocolates too.
- Visit a Tasting Room – Sample the local wines, beers and ciders at an inviting tasting room or pub. Wine connoisseurs can choose from Port Townsend Vineyards, Fairwinds Winery and Eaglemount Winery and Cidery. While the Finnriver Farm & Cidery tasting room offers cider on draft, live music, local food and seasonal events. For a fun pub atmosphere try the Pourhouse or Guardhouse Pub.
- Dining – You can pick as casual or as fancy a dining experience as you like during trip from Sequim to Port Townsend. For and elegent and romantic night try Reveille, the Silverwater Cafe, or Finistére. The Fountain Cafe and the Owl Spirit Cafe offer a fresh creative menu in a cozy interior. While great food at a casual location can be found at the Cablehouse and Howell’s Sandwich Co. If you’re craving international food Hanazono Asian Noodle and Khu Larb Thai serve excellent, authentic dishes. For a drink and small plates to share, stop at the romantic cocktail lounge, The In Between. Before or after dinner catch a movie at the historic Rose Theatre. Their Starlight Room is a 21+ venue that also serves cocktails and gourmet snacks to enjoy while watching the show.
A trip from Sequim to Port Townsend is well worth the short drive for an exciting day on the Olympic Peninsula. It’s easy to see why so many are discovering and moving to wonderful towns like Sequim. Contact our brokers at Schwab Realty to find your perfect place in sunny Sequim.