5 Reasons to Move to Sequim
Learn what Sequim residents appreciate everyday, Sequim is the best place to call home on the Olympic Peninsula. There are so many reasons to move to Sequim but they all fall under five main categories. After all Sequim is known for its stunning natural setting, year-round ideal weather, great outdoor recreation, a wonderful community and an affordable cost of living. Come for a visit, walk our beaches, breath in the lavender, dine at an excellent restaurant and see why so many move to Sequim.
Why so Many Move to Sequim
Most visitors come out to Sequim for a fun festival, to walk the amazing Dungeness Spit, bike the Olympic Discovery Trail or dine in the charming downtown. After falling in love with this wonderful corner of the Olympic Peninsula many decide to move to Sequim. Everyone has their own special reason to live in Sequim but here the top 5:
- Stunning Natural Setting – There are not many places that have breathtaking mountain ranges, miles of beautiful coastline, and idyllic pastoral farmlands. Sequim has it all! The Olympic Mountains have miles of scenic hiking trails. The Dungeness Spit, the longest one in the United States, runs along the shimmering Strait of Juan de Fuca. The valleys are filled with lush lavender, fruit and vegetable farms.
- Ideal Weather – Sequim resides in something called a “Rain Shadow” which creates dry and mild weather year round. This also earned Sequim the nickname the “Blue Hole” from pilots referring to the ideal landing conditions. With only 17 inches of yearly rainfall and comfortable temperatures during every season, Sequim residents can enjoy the outdoors all year.
- Outdoor Recreation – Sequim is a dream location for those that love the outdoors. In the summer months the mountains offer hiking trails and snowy activities in the winter. Residents love to kayak, fish and swim the miles of shimmering coastline. The Olympic Discovery Trail is 130 scenic miles to walk, bike or jog over the Dungeness River, through serene valleys and 4 miles along open views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Other popular activities are golfing, flying and bird watching, that can be enjoyed year round.
- Great Community – Just walking around Sequim’s charming downtown you’ll see all the signs of a fun and welcoming community. The town center is full of lively shops, cafes, galleries, and restaurants. First Friday Art Walks, Farmers Market, and shows at Olympic Theatre Arts bring neighbors together. Young and old alike celebrate the holidays with downtown trick-or-treating and tree lighting events. Dungeness Audubon Center, Sequim YMCA, and the Sequim public library host classes, events and clubs for almost every interest. Known for its famous Lavender Festival, but the area has a festival almost every month from birding to biking and music to aviation. It’s impossible to run out of things to do in Sequim.
- Affordable – Sequim is perfect for both active adults looking for a place to retire and families buying their first home. Home prices are very reasonable with the median being in the $300,000’s. In addition to low local property taxes, there’s no state income tax.
Add safe, friendly neighborhoods that include great schools and excellent doctors and you have everything needed for the perfect small town. Contact us at Schwab Realty and let us show you around this wonderful town. Be prepared to fall in love with Sequim!