Great Day Trips from Sequim
Sequim has everything that makes a perfect hometown; great weather, stunning landscape and an active downtown. Another great reason to live in Sequim is its access to fantastic day trips. Residents love to hop in their cars and explore the Olympic Peninsula. These journeys lead to beautiful historic towns, rugged beaches, lush rainforests and magical waterfalls. After an amazing adventure, it’s wonderful to return to Sequim’s idyllic setting and the welcoming community that makes it feel like home.
10 Fun Day Trips near Sequim
- Port Angeles – North of Sequim, explore this eclectic, waterfront city. Filled to the brim with unique shops, bookstores, and art galleries. Spend the day antiquing, then choose from a range of great restaurants and cafes for dinner. The city also hosts fun events like concerts, marathons, bike races, CrabFest or Beer and wine festivals.
- Victoria, BC – Want to escape to another country for the day? Catch the Black Ball Ferry in Port Angeles for a gorgeous 90 minute cruise across open waters to Victoria. The ferry brings you to the lovely center of the city and you’ll feel you have arrived in a beautiful european country. The bustling waterfront and downtown are filled with great shops, restaurants and bars.
- Port Townsend – Founded in the 1850’s, this city fast became the gateway to the Pacific Northwest. Now the waterfront commercial district houses great restaurants, shops and pubs in the historic brick buildings. The lovely Victorian homes stand proud on the bluff above the busy downtown. Their famous Wooden Boat Festival is a huge draw as well as their popular blues and jazz concerts at Fort Worden State Park.
- Hurricane Ridge – Less than an hour’s drive north of Sequim find the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center. Get some tips and maps before exploring the miles of scenic hiking trails. During the cooler months the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club opens for snowy fun.
- Lake Crescent – Just under an hour away find this pristine glacially carved lake with stunning views of the Olympic Mountains. There are several hiking trailheads here, ranging from easy walks to very challenging. Don’t miss hiking to the enchanting Marymere Falls and Madison Falls.
- Sol Duc Falls – The hour and a half drive is worth every minute to hike the old growth forest to these powerful falls. The falls trail is just a mile but offers up some pretty amazing views of the cascading waterfall. With many other short hikes, the day can be spent exploring the forest and lakes. Then soothe tired muscles at the Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort.
- Hoh Rainforest – As one of the best remaining examples of a temperate rainforest in the US, this grand forest is worth the pilgrimage. The over 12 feet of yearly rainfall, mostly in the winter months, create the lush canopy and carpet of thick ferns and mosses. From the visitors center pick up two short paths to the Hall of Mosses and Spruce Nature Trail.
- Quinault Rain Forest – Another beautiful temperate rainforest, with hikes to alpine meadows and shimmering lakes. The drive from Sequim will be about 3 hours so stretch your legs on the short 1.3 mile trail near the ranger station. Then, if you’re just coming for the day, drive the scenic loop through the forest and the valley.
- Shi Shi Beach – Washington’s rugged coast has many beautiful and wild beaches. Here you’ll have a choice of a shorter 3.2 mile hike through a deep forest to the beach with towering sea stacks. Continue on the 8 mile round-trip journey to the Point of the Arches for an unforgettable view of this remarkable beach.
- Cape Flattery – Drive out to the furthest northwestern point of the contiguous United States for amazing views on this cape. The short hike on a boardwalk trail leads to 4 dramatic overlooks of the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary, Tatoosh Island and the Cape Flattery Lighthouse.
What other town can offer so many wonderful day trips to beautiful and entertaining destinations? Not to mention you’ll love returning to your perfect home in sunny Sequim. The knowledgeable staff at Schwab Realty invite you to visit our charming town. Contact our outstanding brokers and they’ll help you find your next dream home.