Winter Recreation Keeps Sequim Outdoors all Season
Winter in Sequim doesn’t mean staying huddled indoors waiting for Spring. Located in the rain shadow of the majestic Olympic Mountains, Sequim stays sunny most of the year. This, coupled with mild temperatures, invites locals and visitors to play outside through the winter months. While the beautiful, diverse landscape offers mountains, coastlines and forests to explore and enjoy. Add a warm and welcoming downtown and Sequim has the perfect combination of a charming town surrounded by amazing scenery. It’s no surprise that so many choose to make their home in this piece of paradise on the Olympic Peninsula.
Endless Winter Activity Choices
In Sequim outdoor fun continues all winter without the summer crowds. Enjoy great weather while having hiking trails to yourself and miles of quiet beaches. Additionally, Hurricane Ridge offers snowy activities. Choose something new to do each day this winter in Sequim:
- Hiking – Nearby Olympic National Park has dozens of trails for all abilities. Spend a winter afternoon strolling snow dusted paths along forest streams that lead to waterfalls and lofty views. Sequim’s remarkable Dungeness Spit also offers miles of beach hiking on the longest natural sand spit in the United States.
- Biking – Not only is Sequim a very bike-friendly town, the amazing Olympic Discovery Trail runs right through the downtown. This scenic 120 mile long biking trail connects Port Townsend to Port Angeles. Pick it up at Railroad Bridge Park then head north to Port Angeles. Glide past forest, mountain views and bike alongside the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
- Bird Watching – The diverse habitats attract a wide range of rare bird species and Dungeness Audubon Center is the birding headquarters in Sequim. They host weekly bird walks and many classes for bird lovers.
- Golfing – Not many places in Washington State can boast year round golfing with gorgeous mountain, forest and valley views. In addition to a beautiful setting with great weather, Sequim has three excellent full-service golf courses. The Cedars at Dungeness Golf Course, SkyRidge Golf Course, and the SunLand Golf & Country Club all have challenging courses with friendly, helpful staff.
- Winter Sports – Just under and hour drive away from Sequim find Hurricane Ridge and every snowy activity. Located in the Olympic National Park visitors can ski, snowboard, and sled all winter long. With an annual average snowfall of 400 plus inches, great conditions are guaranteed.
While summer festivals and activities draw big crowds to quaint Sequim, the locals know winter is also a magical time here. Sunny, mild winters in a beautiful setting makes Sequim an ideal place to call home. Contact our agents at Schwab Realty, we’d love to show you around our exceptional town.