2018 BirdFest Arrives at Sequim
BirdFest kicks off the brilliant spring birding season in Sequim. The 15th annual Olympic Peninsula BirdFest will attract bird lovers far and wide. The amazing variety of birds found in and around Sequim makes this a very popular event. In fact the National Audubon Society recognized an area of the Dungeness River an Important Bird Area. Additionally, Sequim’s Dungeness River Audubon Center has been named “Bird Central” for the festival. It is the meeting place for many walks and tours. Plan a weekend in Sequim full of fun birding activities at the 2018 BirdFest, starting April 12th until the 15th, 2018.
2018 BirdFest Activities
Choose from a long list of exciting field trips, walks, talks, and tours during this packed weekend made for bird enthusiasts. Check out the events list for great bird watching and spotting opportunities. Here are a few highlights planned for the weekend:
- Dungeness River Audubon Center – This nature center is the hub of activity for BirdFest. Gather here for the April 12th BirdFest kick off party. They will also host bird drawing classes and even a live raptor presentation.
- Sequim Bay – Discover the wonderful variety of shorebirds on this walk that meets Friday and Saturday at John Wayne Marina, in Sequim. The many species include plovers, sandpipers, Rhinoceros Auklets, and Barrow’s Goldeneyes.
- Dungeness Spit – Walking this spit is a year-round favorite for bird watchers. Join fellow bird lovers on Friday and Saturday for this 5.5 mile walk along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It’s a spectacular viewing area for inshore and offshore wildlife. Look out for loons, grebes, sea ducks, Red-throated Loons, Northern Harriers and Golden-crowned Sparrows.
- Early Morning and Evening Walks – There are several walks and bike rides designed to hear early morning bird songs or find elusive owls during evening hikes.
- Boat Trips to Protection Island – This very popular Sunday cruise is limited to only 50 travelers and fills up quick! The three hour trip to the island preserve offers many seabird and marine mammal viewing opportunities.
- San Juan Island Cruise – Join this 3-day, 2 night cruise, with an expert naturalist guide. During this exciting trip learn more about the whales, seals and seabirds. The cruise departs from the John Wayne Marina in Sequim.
- Totem Tour – This fascinating guided tour begins at the 7 Cedars Casino in Sequim, and then explores the history, legends, and folktales of the carved columns.
April marks the departure of winter birds and arrival of the spring migration. This is a perfect time to spot Sequim’s winter and spring avian residents. This region of western Washington has diverse habitats, and is home to an impressive array of birds. While enjoying the 2018 BirdFest, be sure to explore the charming town of Sequim. It’s easy to see why many bird lovers make their home here. Imagine waking up each morning to beautiful bird songs and the opportunity to add another one to your life list. Contact our wonderful staff at Schwab Realty to find a your perfect sanctuary.